CEGIS Research Plan 2013-2018
Presentations and Publications from CEGIS
Current CEGIS Projects
Geospatial Semantics and Ontology
High-performance Computing (HPC)
Integration of NGP Data within Fluid Dynamic Applications
National Terrain Mapping
Spatiotemporal Data Modeling
Volunteered Geographic Information (VGI)
The National Map
Home ← Spatiotemporal Data Models
Spatiotemporal Data Models
With the acquisition of lidar point cloud and digital elevation data from 3DEP, research is being conducted to determine appropriate multidimensional data models that can handle the 3 and 4 dimensional data with semantics, and still include legacy data.
Although many spatiotemporal models have been developed, none of these models include the recent developments in geospatial semantics, VGI and crowdsourcing, and high performance computing, which are integral parts of the future of 3DEP and The National Map.
Data Model Requirements
- True three-dimensional coordinates on a feature by feature basis.
- Maintenance of spatial topology in three-dimensions
- Temporal data on feature basis
- Changes in semantics and geometry over time
- Rapid conversion to the triple model of subject, predicate, object of geospatial semantics and the Semantic Web.
Prior work: https://cegis.usgs.gov/multi-dimension/index.html
Poster - A Multidimensional Geographic Feature System (346k pdf)
To read pdf files you will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader